The Stark County Development Board recently issued 10 recommendations relating to oversight on shale drilling in Ohio. The recommendations, which are listed on the board’s website, http://www.starkcoohio.com/, include:
- Making certain that the Ohio Department of Natural Resources has enough money to hire inspectors and compliance officers, and that inspectors are at a well site during critical times in the drilling process.
- Emphasizing the inspection of wells during construction, and developing containment standards to minimize potential damage from on-site accidents.
- Having Ohio officials monitor drilling operations in other states to prepare for potential problems in Ohio.
- Creating minimum standards for energy companies and subcontractors that want to work in Ohio.
- Regulating the disposal of brine and hydraulic fracturing material and flow back fluids.
For more information, you can read an August 12, 2011 article in the Canton Repository entitled, "Stark Development Board takes close look at fracking."