GUATEMALA DECREES STATE OF PUBLIC CALAMITY AS A PREVENTION PLAN FOR CORONAVIRUS (COVID-19)
Government Decree 5-2020 of the Presidency of the Republic, which declares State of Public Calamity throughout the Guatemalan territory, was published this Friday, March 6, in the Official Gazette, entered into force immediately, for a period of 30 days.
This as a result of the pronouncement of the World Health Organization regarding the coronavirus epidemic (COVID-19) as a public health emergency of international importance and of the Plan for the Prevention, Containment and Response to Coronavirus Cases (COVID -19) in Guatemala, from the Ministry of Public Health and Social Assistance.
The Decree refers to the limitation to the constitutional rights of freedom of action, freedom of locomotion, right of meetings and protest and the right to strike by state employees, as a preventive measure in the spread of Coronavirus (COVID- 19).
During the term of the State of Public Calamity, the following measures are established:
- The Ministry of Public Health and Social Assistance shall carry out all necessary actions to provide the essential public services to prevent the spread of Coronavirus (COVID-19).
- Restrict the right of locomotion by setting and establishing sanitary cordons, limiting the circulation of all types of transport, as well as preventing the exit or entry of people from affected areas.
- Limit the concentrations of people and prohibit or suspend all kinds of public shows and any kind of meetings or events that represent a risk to the health of the residents of the Republic of Guatemala, upon resolution of the Ministry of Public Health and Social Assistance.
- Establish minimum and maximum prices for items, supplies or services that have relationship in the prevention, treatment, containment and response to Coronavirus (COVID-19) and related medical procedures.
- The Ministry of Public Health and Social Assistance will be able to do the medical evaluation of national, foreign, resident or transit persons, with suspicion, symptoms or declaration of being carriers of Coronavirus (COVID-19), having attribution to isolate or declare quarantined to patients with symptoms.
- The Guatemalan Institute for Migration, General Directorate of Civil Aviation, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, is ordered to coordinate with the Ministry of Public Health and Social Assistance, the monitoring and monitoring of lands borders, ports and airports in relation to travelers and crews from countries with confirmed cases of Coronavirus (COVID-19).
- The Ministry of Governance prepare and implement public security plans and take care of everything related to the maintenance of public order and the safety of people and their property in the places affected by the Coronavirus (COVID-19).
- The purchase of assets and supplies is authorized, as well as the contracting of services that are strictly related to compliance with the Decree, without being subject to the requirements established by the State Contracting Law and its Regulations.
- Donations will be consigned and registered in name of the State of Guatemala and coordinated by the National Coordinator for Disaster Reduction -CONRED-.
- All administrative, medical, migratory and security actions that are carried out in accordance with the Decree must be carried out in the utmost respect, integrity and guarantee of the human rights of the inhabitants.