The Turkish Medicines and Medical Devices Agency ("TİTCK") has announced new standards for cosmetics claims. Based on the Cosmetics Law and the Cosmetics Regulation, the Claims of Cosmetics Products Guidelines Version 3.0 (in Turkish, Kozmetik Ürünlerin İddialarına İlişkin Kılavuz Sürüm 3.0) published by the TİTCK replaces the existing guidelines and brings new standards to cosmetics claims.
What do the guidelines say?
According to the Claims of Cosmetics Products Guidelines Version 3.0:
- Cosmetics claims must be generally in line with the cosmetics regulations;
- No claim or visual can be placed on the labeling, packaging or advertisements that indicates that a cosmetics product is approved or permitted by an authority;
- Cosmetics claims must be easily understandable, taking into account the profile of the end users of the cosmetics products in question;
- Cosmetics claims must not be inaccurate or misleading; and
- Cosmetics claims must not include indications of being "unique, one of a kind, best or most effective."
For the full text of the Claims of Cosmetics Products Guidelines Version 3.0, click here (in Turkish).
Cosmetics companies must review the new guidelines and ensure that their claims comply with these new rules.