The National Telecommunications and Information Administration (“NTIA”) has sought comment on a broad range of issues related to the advancement and regulation of the Internet of Things (“IoT”), including technological challenges/benefits of IoT, definitional issues, privacy, and cybersecurity related issues, among others. NTIA will use the information to produce a “green paper” in which it intends to identify potential benefits and challenges of the technologies and possible roles of the U.S. government in fostering the advancement of IoT technologies.
Among the broad range of inquiries, NTIA seeks comment on:
- Novel technological challenges presented by IoT relative to existing technological infrastructure, devices, and policy issues
- Definitional issues to be used in examining the IoT landscape
- Do current and planned laws, regulations, and/or policies foster and/or hinder development and deployment of IoT
- Role of the U.S. government in establishing policies and rules regarding IoT cybersecurity
- Privacy considerations specific to IoT, how such considerations are different from other privacy considerations, and role of the U.S. government regarding policies, rules, and/or standards with regard to privacy and IoT.
Comments are due by 5:00 PM EST on May 23, 2016.