NASK, the domain name Registry for .PL domain names, has recently published its report for the second quarter of 2019 covering the months April to June.

According to the figures published in the report, at the end of quarter 2 there were a total of 2,602,326 .PL registered domain names. Although these are impressive numbers, .PL actually saw a decrease of 8,461 domain names in comparison to the previous quarter. Nonetheless, the renewal rate for .PL domain names during the second quarter amounted to 65.94%, a slight increase on the 64.16% recorded during 2018.

The report also noted that, at the end of June 2019, there were 1,085,029 unique registrants – this is 1,492 more registrants than the first quarter of 2019. At the same time, 93.09% of registrants were located in Poland, with the remaining 6.91% of registrants located in other countries. After Poland, the three countries with highest number of .PL domain name registrants were located in Germany with 1.63%, the UK with 0.70% and the USA with 0.63%.

The quarterly report also covered other aspects related to the .PL domain name space, including the DNSSEC Protocol and the Registry Lock service. DNSSEC was designed and implemented as a response to the inherent security vulnerabilities in the way that the Domain Name System operates. Due to these inherent vulnerabilities, it is possible to divert Internet users away from their intended website destinations and to redirect them to third-party websites without their knowledge. This can result in the dissemination of computer viruses, malware and even theft of sensitive financial and personal data. At the end of quarter two 2019, NASK recorded 489,945 names which had been registered with the DNSSEC Protocol.

The .PL domain name Registry also released its Registry Lock service at the end of March 2019. The Registry Lock service was set up in response to the threat of domain name hijacking (or simply put - domain name theft) and prevents unauthorised changes, deletions or transfers of ownership of domain names. The .PL Registry Lock provides domain name holders an additional layer of security that protects their domain names against hijacking. As its name indicates, the domain name is locked at the Registry level and no changes to the domain name are allowed without following rigorous verification and authentication protocols at both the Registry and registrar levels.

To visit the NASK website please click here.

The full NASK’s report for the second quarter of 2019 can be found here.

For more news and analysis that is tailored to you, as well as access to Hogan Lovells' cutting-edge interactive Lawtech tools, register for free on Engage.

You can also keep track of all the Engage content by following our LinkedIn page.