IMPACT – MEDIUM
What is the change? Italy has switched to an online application form for Schengen visitor visas.
What does the change mean? To apply for a Schengen visa through an Italian consulate, applicants should go to the online portal, fill out and sign the application form, print out the form containing the barcode and bring it to the appropriate Italian consulate.
- Implementation time frame: Immediate.
- Visas/permits affected: Schengen (C type) visas.
- Who is affected: Non-EU nationals applying for short-term Schengen visas through an Italian consulate.
- Impact on processing times: The online process should make the process more efficient overall.
- Business impact: Business travelers to the Schengen region should be aware of the new Italian online process.
- Next steps: The electronic application form is available at the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs’ Schengen e-application website.
Background: Schengen visas are valid for stays of up to 90 days in the Schengen region, and travel should begin in the country that issues the visa.
BAL Analysis: The switch to the online system is intended to reduce errors and improve the application process. The new system applies to Schengen visas only and does not affect long-term visas.