The General Medical Council (GMC) has published new draft guidance for consultation - Protecting children and young people: the responsibilities of all doctors. It has been developed by a working group chaired by Lord Justice Thorpe. It will run in conjunction with the GMC’s 0 - 18 years: guidance for all doctors.
The draft guidance gives advice to doctors, including those who do not routinely treat children, on a range of issues, including:
- their duty to identify children and young people at risk of abuse and neglect, even when only treating adults;
- the boundary between parental freedoms and child protection concerns;
- respecting confidentiality and when to share information;
- good record keeping practice;
- seeking consent to examination or investigation;
- training and skills development; and
- giving evidence in court.
The consultation runs until Friday 14 October 2011.
We will update readers when the final guidance is released.