As of 19 June 2014 the .uk domain names have been launched.
If you are the owner of domain names which have any of the following suffixes then this will be relevant to you:
How does the reservation process work?
If you are the owner of any of the above domain names, the .uk domain will have been automatically reserved for you (subject to the conditions set out in this update).
The reservation period is from 10 June 2014 – 10 June 2019.
If there is more than one website with the same name but a different suffix then there is a sliding scale of priority:
- .co.uk will be given priority. This is on the basis that your .co.uk registration was registered before the cut- off date of 28 October 2013
- .org.uk is second and if there was not a .co.uk domain name registered by the cut-off date then owners of these domains will be eligible
- .me.uk is next and if there was no .co.uk or .org.uk registered before the cut-off date then owners of these domains will be automatically eligible
- .net.uk, .plc.uk or .ltd.uk owners should follow the process detailed below.
How do I check if I have the domain name?
In order to check whether you have the domain name please follow the link below:
What do I need to do next?
- Check if the domain name has been reserved for you
- If it has and you want to keep it and use it then you must register the domain name by 10 June 2019
- Do not let your existing domain name registrations lapse prior to registering your .uk domain name
- Check if the domain is available for registration now, as it may be available to register
- If you decide not to register the .uk domain name prior to 10 June 2019 then the domain name will automatically become available for anyone else to register on a first-come basis
- All existing domain names with the suffixes .co.uk, org.uk, etc will still remain in effect.
- If there is not an earlier domain name registered then the .uk is now available for registration by anyone
- New domain name registrations with the suffixes of .co.uk , .org.uk etc registered after 10 June 2014 have no automatic right to registration of .uk
- There are some exceptions to these provisions relating to government bodies and organisations previously using .gov.uk. Please contact us if you have any concerns.