Today the Angel Resource Institute, Silicon Valley Bank and CB Insights released their angel group 2013 year in review, the Halo Report. The Halo Report analyzes angel investment activity and trends in the United States. Here are a couple interesting 2013 highlights:
- The median angel round size remained steady over the last three years at $600K;
- The median angel round size for 2013 was $1.7M when angel groups co-invest with other types of investors, which was an increase over the median 2012 round size of $1.5M;
- The median pre-money valuation for early stage angel group deals in 2013 was $2.5M, which was consistent with 2012 median valuations although 2013 saw more high-valuation deals close than 2012;
- Together, Internet, healthcare and mobile companies comprised 74% of angel group deals and79% of angel group dollars, a significant increase from the prior year;
- The median angel round size for healthcare deals jumped to $1.6M in 2013 (from $1.1M in 2012), which was the largest increase by sector; and
- As with prior years, California was the most active region for angel deals, both in number of deals (18.6%) and total dollars invested (19.6%).