State contractor and tradesmen licensing laws, and the agencies responsible for issuing and regulating these licensees, vary across the nation. In California, the California Contractors State License Board issues licenses to general engineering contractors, general building contractors and specialty classifications for trades that require a license, including, by way of example only, electrical, warm-air heating, ventilating & air-conditioning (aka HVAC or HVACR), and plumbing. In some states, plumbing, electrical, and HVAC trades are licensed and regulated by separate agencies. Others states only require contractors to register. In other states, municipalities issue and regulate any required contractor's licenses.

Below is a list of regulatory agencies across the nation that issue licenses (or require registration) with a link to their webpage(s) identifying the license classifications and trades subject to licensure (or registration). It does not identify all of the municipalities responsible for issuing and regulating contractors and tradesmen. It also does not include certification requirements, including for example, asbestos abatement certification, hazardous substance removal certification, electrician's certification, or lead-safety certification, or permit requirements. If you are aware of additional state contractor and tradesmen regulatory agencies, please email me and I will update the list.

Alabama  Alabama Licensing Board for General Contractors 

Arizona Registrar of Contractors

Arkansas Contractors Licensing Board

California Contractors State License Board

Colorado Department of Regulatory Agencies

Connecticut Department of Consumer Protection

Delaware Department of Finance: Division of Revenue

District of Columbia Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs

Florida Construction Industry Licensing Board

Georgia State Licensing Board for Residential and General Contractors

Hawaii Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs Professional & Vocational Licensing

Idaho Division of Building Safety

Illinois Department of Financial & Professional Regulation (List of Professions Regulated)

Indiana Department of Code Enforcement (The DCE is responsible for licensing persons and business organizations engaged in construction activity in the Consolidated City of Indianapolis, Marion County. The Consolidated City of Indianapolis does not include the excluded cities of Lawrence, Beech Grove, Speedway and Southport. Licensing for craft contractors in the fields of electrical, heating and air conditioning or refrigeration or high pressure steam (HVACR) and wrecking is at the discretion of the local municipality in the State of Indiana.)

 Indiana Plumbing Commission 

Iowa Division of Labor Services (The State of Iowa requires that "construction contractors" register with the Iowa Division of Labor.)

Kansas (Kansas does not issue Contractors License at the state level.)

Mississippi State Board of Contractors

Missouri (Missouri does not issue Contractors License at the state level.)

Nebraska Department of Labor (Nebraska Contractor Registration Information)

State of New Hampshire Professional Licensing

New Jersey Department of Law & Public Safety, Division of Consumer Affairs (Licensed Professions and Occupations)

New Mexico Regulation & Licensing Department (Construction Industries & Manufactured Housing and Classifications)

New York Buildings, Licensing

North Carolina Licensing Board for General Contractors

Ohio Department of Commerce

OklahomaConstruction Industries Board

Oregon Construction Contractors Board

Pennsylvania Department of Labor & Industry, Contractor Licensing

Rhode Island Contractors' Registration and Licensing Board

South Carolina Contractors' Licensing Board (Classifications)

South Dakota (South Dakota certifies or licenses only asbestos abatement, electrical and plumbing contractors.)

Tennessee Board for Licensing Contractors

Texas Commission of Licensing and Regulation

Utah Division of Occupational and Professional Licensing (Classifications)

Vermont Government, Building and Construction

Virginia Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation, Board for Contractors

Washington State Department of Labor & Industries (Register as a Contractor; Specialty Contractor Classifications)

West Virginia Division of Labor Contractor Licensing

Wisconsin Department of Safety and Professional Services, Trades Professions

Wyoming Association of Municipalities (The Wyoming Trades Certification Program offers state-wide testing in the areas of: Roofing, Concrete, Plumbing, Gas Pipe Fitting, Mechanical HVAC, Building Contracting, Residential Contracting and General Contracting, Framing, Drywall and Masonry and Electrical. Contractor licensing (except electrical) is not done by the State of Wyoming. Rather, the option to license contractors is deferred to the local jurisdiction where the construction activity is to take place.)