David Willetts established the Witty Review in March 2013 to consider how universities can best support growth in the UK economy by working with organisations including Local Enterprise partnerships. An initial report has now been issued. The BIS press release outlines the emerging themes:
- "Making sector or cluster strengths the starting point for developing plans for regional growth.
- Making sure universities play a stronger role in economic development.
- Improving SME access to universities, including a stronger role for university business schools to provide support to SMEs.
- Reducing the complexity of funding streams that support research and innovation.
- Ensuring national organisations support innovation and regional growth."
The review is looking at a number of industrial sectors and technologies across the UK. The final report should be published later this year.