Leaders of the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation Forum (“APEC”) agreed to cut tariffs to five percent or less by 2015 on 54 environmental goods. This marks the first time that trade negotiations have produced a list of environmental goods for tariff cuts. The following core environmental products are covered:
- Renewable and clean energy technologies, such as solar panels and wind turbines;
- Wastewater treatment technologies, such filters and ultraviolet disinfection equipment;
- Air pollution control technologies, such as soot removers and catalytic converters;
- Solid and hazardous waste treatment technologies; and
- Environmental monitoring and assessment equipment.