The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) has announced that certain H-4 dependent spouses of H-1B workers will be able to apply for employment authorization starting May 26, 2015.  The USCIS is expected to release details on the filing process.

An H-4 spouse will be eligible to apply for employment authorization if their H-1B spouse:

  • Is the beneficiary of an approved I-140; or
  • Has been granted an extension of H-1B status beyond the six-year limit based on the American Competitiveness in the Twenty-first Century Act of 2000.

We will provide updates on how to initiate a new H-4 work authorization as the information becomes available.