The Fair Workplaces, Better Jobs Act, 2017 received royal assent on November 27, 2017. Thus, new requirements will come into force according to the following timeline:
- Changes to the Employment Standards Act will generally commence on January 1, 2018. However:
- changes with respect to critical illness leave and the extension of parental leave will take effect December 3, 2017;
- changes with respect to pay equity in relation to “employment status” will take effect on April 1, 2018; and
- changes regarding work scheduling standards will take effect on January 1, 2019.
- Changes to the Labour Relations Act will take effect on January 1, 2018.
- Changes to the Occupational Health and Safety Act are now in force!