If you are considering purchasing a Buy to Let Property or already have a Buy to Let Property, it is important you give them all the correct information at the start of the tenancy. A recent case of Caridon Property Ltd v Monty Shooltz (2018) ruled that a Landlord who had not given his Tenant the Gas Safety Certificate at the start of the Tenancy, meant the Notice he had given his Tenants to leave the Property was invalid and the Landlord was unable to evict the Tenants.

When a Landlord wishes for Tenants to leave a Property and the Tenancy is for a fixed period of over 6 months or the Tenancy has no fixed end date, the Landlord has to service a formal Notice on the Tenant. This is called a Section 21 Notice and a Landlord has to give the Tenants at least 2 months notice to vacate the Property.

In light of the recent case, it is important to ensure all documentation is given to the Tenant at the beginning of the Tenancy, as a failure to give one piece of documentation could mean a Landlord cannot evict a Tenant, which could be problematic for the Landlord.

If you are letting out a Property then you need to supply to the Tenant the following documentation:

  1. Energy Performance Certificate for the Property.
  2. Copy of the How to rent guide. This can be found on the Government’s website https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/how-to-rent
  3. Copy of the signed Tenancy Agreements
  4. Landlord Gas Safety Certificate
  5. Details of the Deposit Protection Scheme

If you would like further information then please see the Government’s website on the following link. https://www.gov.uk/private-renting.