Turkey has updated technical details of the regulatory regime for measuring instruments, including their use and market-entry. The updated rules apply to meters for electricity, gas, heat flow, water and taxis, as well as weighing instruments, among others. These include detailed obligations for commercial operators, manufacturers, importers and distributors.
The Regulation on Measuring Instruments was published in Official Gazette number 29757 on 29 June 2016 (“Regulation”), entering into force on the same date.
The Regulation applies to:
- Water meters.
- Gas meters.
- Volume conversion devices.
- Electrical energy meters.
- Heat flow meters.
- Dynamic measuring systems perpetually measuring liquid quantities (except water).
- Automatic weighing instruments.
- Taxi meters.
- Material meters.
- Dimensional measuring instruments.
- Exhaust gas analyzers.
Provisions introduced by the Regulation include:
- Areas of use for measuring instruments, applicability to sub-mounting devices, basic necessity, existence in the market and use.
- Detailed obligations for commercial operators, manufacturers, importers and distributors.
- The Ministry appoints bodies to assess conformity.
- Market surveillance and auditing of measuring instruments will be conducted in line with the Regulation on Market Surveillance and Control of the Products.
Please see this link for full text of the Regulation (only available in Turkish).
Information first published in the MA | Gazette, a fortnightly legal update newsletter produced by Moroğlu Arseven.