The Government has published an order which brings the majority of the Equality Act’s provisions into force as of 1 October 2010. As expected, the following are not included:
- Dual/combined discrimination.
- Public sector equality duty.
- Duty to disclose gender pay gap information.
- Positive discrimination in recruitment and promotion.
- Duty on public authorities to reduce the inequalities resulting from socio-economic disadvantage.
The order also sets out transitional provisions as follows:
- Where an act which is unlawful under previous discrimination legislation continues after 1 October 2010, it is also unlawful under the Equality Act. However, the Equality Act will not apply if the act occurred wholly before 1 October.
- The prohibition on victimisation applies to both victimisation for bringing proceedings under the previous legislation as well as under the Equality Act.
- The existing guidance on disability remains in force until new guidance is provided.
Equality Act 2010 (Commencement No.4, Savings, Consequential, Transitional,Transitory and Incidental Provision and Revocation) Order 2010