copyright audit evaluates and reports on the status of your business’ copyrightable works of art. An audit outlines considerations relevant to your ability to secure, protect and enforce your rights and, if desired, provides an appraisal of the dollar value of these rights.
To know if you need a copyright audit, consider:
- Does your business rely on copyrightable works of art (writings, images, drawings, computer programs, photographs) and do you have certificates of copyright registration for these works?
- Does your business use copyrightable works of art for ancillary business activities (marketing, advertising, website images, product descriptions, product manuals) and do you have certificates of copyright registration for these work?
- Does your business use works of art from others and do you have copies of these written authorizations?
- Does your business have the right to enforce the copyright rights you are authorized to use?
- Does your business authorize others to use works of art and do you have copies of these authorizations?
Your answers to these questions will indicate if it is time to contact an IP audit specialist to discuss a copyright audit.