On February 25, the OSC released for comment a draft of its 2011-2012 Statement of Priorities. According to the OSC, its planning for the year was influenced by developments in the overall investment marketplace, the regulatory arena domestically and internationally and stakeholder perceptions of regulatory effectiveness. Ultimately, the OSC identified five broad priorities, namely to:
- better demonstrate its commitment to investor protection by undertaking policy and rule development as well as compliance and enforcement programs;
- intensify operational, compliance and enforcement efforts;
- modernize its regulatory systems and approaches, including by focusing on risk oriented regulatory responses and implementing a robust framework for OTC derivatives;
- pursue a coordinated approach to securities regulation by supporting the development of a federal securities regulator and working to harmonize and modernize regulation through the CSA; and
- demonstrate accountability for its performance as a leading securities regulator in Canada.
Comments on the are being accepted by the OSC until April 27, 2011. For more information, see OSC Notice 11-765.