Last week, U.S. Sen. Sherrod Brown (D-OH) announced several Ohio entities and projects that will receive grants through the U.S. Economic Development Administration (EDA) to spur economic development and create jobs:
- Ohio State University (OSU), together with four regional economic development districts – the Buckeye Hills-Hocking Valley Regional Development District (RDD), the Reno/Eastgate Council of Governments (RCOG), the Youngstown/Northeast Ohio Four County Regional Planning and Development Organization (RPDO) and the Akron/Ohio Mid-Eastern Governments Association (GA) – will receive a $199,766 grant to create an advanced manufacturing hub that will serve a 25-county region of Ohio. The group will also "develop a strategy to help the region increase competitiveness, economic growth and job creation."
- The Dayton Development Coalition (DDC) and its partners will receive a $200,000 grant to "assess the development and production of the Dayton region's Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS) industry." DCC partners include the Wright Brothers Institute in Dayton and SRI International of Menlo Park, California.
- Lorain County Community College (LCCC) will receive a $1,174,000 grant "to build a facility where companies can test their sensor and Micro-Electro-Mechanical System (MEMS) technologies." The new manufacturing pilot production lab for microsystems is expected to "create nearly 200 jobs and leverage more than $13 million in private investment."
- Ohio Christian University will receive a $2,454,800 grant to build the Southern Gateway Economic Innovation Development Center – a mixed-use incubator that will focus on agribusiness and technology-based entrepreneurs in Fayette, Pickaway and Ross counties. The new economic development center is expected to create 200 jobs and leverage $25 million in private investment.
- The Columbus 2020 Foundation will receive a $50,090 grant to "support the update and maintenance of a comprehensive economic development strategy (CEDS) for the region" encompassing Delaware, Fairfield, Franklin, Knox, Licking, Logan, Madison, Marion, Morrow, Pickaway and Union counties.