Hydraulic fracturing-related patenting efforts continue to grow. For example, six new patent applications published this past Thursday (June 9, 2011) which refer to hydraulic fracturing (see below). Not surprisingly, many of the inventors are from Texas. Water treatment is a theme for two of the patent applications. The Obama administration continues to study hydraulic fracturing as it has become a core element in energy policy (see (http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/07/science/earth/07frack.html). The administration should urgently fund innovation to supplement private sector efforts in this arena.
- 20110137465 Portable Water Treatment Method
- 20110136703 Compositions for Stimulating Liquid-Sensitive Subterranean Formations
- 20110132815 Portable Water Treatment System and Apparatus
- 20110132607 Apparatus and Technique to Communicate With a Tubing-Conveyed Perforating Gun
- 20110132604 METHOD OF USING LIGHTWEIGHT POLYAMIDES IN HYDRAULIC FRACTURING AND SAND CONTROL OPERATIONS
- 20110132600 Optimized Well Spacing For In Situ Shale Oil Development