Following a consultation, the government has announced new measures to deal with leasehold issues. The measures include:
• legislation to prevent the sale of new build leasehold houses except where necessary (such as shared ownership);
• ensuring ground rents on new long leases for houses and flats are set at zero;
• working with the Law Commission to support existing leaseholders and make purchasing a freehold or extending a lease much easier, faster and cheaper;
• providing clear support to leaseholders on the various redress routes available;
• reviewing the support and advice to leaseholders to ensure it is fit for purpose;
• ensuring freeholders have equivalent rights to leaseholders to challenge unfair service charges.