CMS is gearing up for the fiscal year (FY) 2019 Medicare payment system rulemaking cycle. The agency has requested that the White House Office of Management and Budget (OMB) review the FY 2019 proposed rules for the following payment systems:
- The Hospital Inpatient Prospective Payment System for Acute Care Hospitals and the Long-Term Care Hospital Prospective Payment System
- The Inpatient Rehabilitation Facility Prospective Payment System
- The Hospice Wage Index and Payment Rate Update
- The Prospective Payment System and Consolidated Billing for Skilled Nursing Facilities
- The Inpatient Psychiatric Facilities Prospective Payment System-
OMB review is the last step before a regulation is published in the Federal Register. The annual updates to Medicare payment systems that operate on a fiscal year basis are typically released in April (the calendar year updates usually are released in June/July).