IMPACT – MEDIUM
What is the change? Canada has removed visa limitations on Bulgarian and Romanian nationals.
What does the change mean? Bulgarian and Romanian nationals no longer need to apply for a visa at a Canadian consulate and may now apply for an electronic travel authorization, or eTA, before traveling to Canada.
- Implementation time frame: Immediate. The change took effect Dec. 1.
- Visas/permits affected: eTAs.
- Who is affected: Bulgarian and Romanian nationals traveling to Canada for visits of up to six months for business, tourism or study.
- Impact on processing times: Generally, eTAs are approved online within minutes.
- Business impact: The change broadens the use of eTAs to all Bulgarian and Romanian nationals and will facilitate business travel from the two countries.
- Next steps: Travelers may apply for an eTA at the Canadian government’s website.
Background: Since May, Canada has allowed Bulgarian and Romanian nationals to use the faster eTA only if they held a Canadian visa in the previous 10 years or hold a current and valid U.S. visa. The eTA is now available to all Bulgarian and Romanian citizens.
BAL Analysis: Bulgarian and Romania nationals making business trips to Canada will benefit from the faster eTA procedures.