At the state opening of Parliament on 4 June, the Queen announced the following employment proposals that will be progressed in the run up to the election in May next year:
- measures to reduce delays in employment tribunals
- steps to stop abuse of zero hours contracts
- higher penalties for employers who fail to pay the national minimum wage
- stopping civil servants keeping redundancy payments if they go back to work in the same area within a short period of time
- an increase in apprenticeship places to two million by the end of this Parliament and
- help with childcare costs for working families.
The Queen also referred to the pension reforms, which were announced previously.