The company business concerns the recycling of electrical equipment including fluorescent light tubes containing mercury and TV sets and monitors containing lead.
On investigation, twenty employees were found to have levels of mercury in their system above the UK guidance levels and five showed extremely high levels. The problems were caused by ventilation problems meaning the employees were exposed to potentially harmful emissions from both substances. The exposure took place between October 2007 and August 2008.
The company pleaded guilty to breaching Section 2(1) of the HSWA, three separate breaches of the Control of Substances Hazardous to Health Regulations 2001 and one breach of the Control of Lead at Work Regulations and was fined £140,000 and ordered to pay costs of £35,000.
A company director was also prosecuted and pleaded guilty to breaching Regulation 7(1) of the Control of Substances Hazardous to Health Regulations 2002 and was fined £5,000.