On August 30, the IRS released its Exempt Organization Newsletter, Issue Number 2013-18. Topics include the following:
- New interactive Form 1023 available for review
- Register for EO workshops
- Sign up for upcoming phone forums
1. New interactive Form 1023 available for review
In an effort to make applying for tax exemption easier, the IRS Exempt Organizations (EO) office is in the development stage of an alternate version of Form 1023, Application for Recognition of Exemption. The new application is available for preview until September 20, 2013.
The Interactive Form 1023 (i1023) features pop-up information boxes for most lines of the form. These boxes contain explanations and links to related information on IRS.gov and StayExempt.irs.gov, EO’s educational website. When final testing is completed later this year, you’ll print and mail the form and its attachments just like the standard Form 1023.
Although viewers are unable to print or submit this “review” version of i1023, EO encourages the public to click through its new features and promote the i1023 to colleagues and business associates. After reviewing the i1023, please send your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Anticipated i1023 benefits:
- Applicants will be able to submit a more complete form
- IRS processing time is reduced
- Applicants receive a tax-exempt determination more quickly
The i1023 was developed from recommendations by the IRS’ Advisory Committee on Tax-Exempt and Government Entities (ACT).