The Home Office launched a new version of the Sponsor Management System (SMS) on 1 July 2013, as part of a planned upgrade to the points-based system IT applications.
The SMS is a secure IT system which enables licensed sponsors to manage their licence. Only licensed sponsors have access to SMS.
Along with more effective communications, the Home Office states that the changes made will mean better support for users, making applications made under the sponsor licence quicker and easier with fewer rejected requests. Key features include a message screen presented to Level 1 users immediately after logging in, providing key dates and events and answers to common SMS user issues.
Other new features include:
- Sponsor licences key dates to be displayed in the ‘licence summary’ screen
- The introduction of an application and licence renewal tracking function and new menu options for the added functions
- Removal of the ‘outstanding payments’ item, as cheque payment will no longer be accepted for any sponsorship services from 1 July 2013
- Enhanced help text throughout the system
- Renaming of existing menu options for greater ease of navigation