The Advisory Note sets out a policy concerning the waiver of information requirements provided for under section 106(8)(a) of CEPA, 1999 for naturally occurring micro-organisms with a low hazard potential.
The Minister will consider granting a waiver with respect to a naturally occurring micro-organism with a low hazard potential if the micro-organism meets the following six criteria. The micro-organism must:
- be found naturally in the Canadian environment and its genome must not be modified;
- have a history of safe use;
- not be known as a cause of disease in healthy or vulnerable humans;
- not be known as a plant pathogen nor an animal pathogen;
- not produce toxins, or by-products known for having negative effects on environment or human health; and
- not be known to be invasive (i.e. not having the ability to establish itself, persist, out-compete indigenous species, take over the new environment and threaten biological diversity).
The Advisory Note is available at http://www.ec.gc.ca/substances/nsb/eng/a200707_e.shtml.