Starting June 1, 2009 the U.S. will introduce tighter rules for Canadian and U.S. citizens traveling by land into the U.S. As of that date, such travelers must ensure that they have acceptable documentation to enter the U.S. by land. Passports or NEXUS cards are acceptable. In addition, for entry by land or water (but not by air) the U.S. Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) allows Canadians to use an enhanced driver's license, which Canadian provinces have been, or will be, introducing. Non-compliant driver's licenses will not be acceptable as of June 1, 2009.

New Documentary Requirements for Canadians Traveling to the United States