- Protect your intellectual property so others cannot copy software, content or data from your website/app without your permission.
- Prohibit users from taking such adverse action as (a) reselling your content or services without your permission; (b) posting or transmitting offensive or illegal content or viruses; or (c) filing a class action lawsuit against you
- Secure your rights to (a) to use any ideas or content submitted by users; (b) use user data in legally permissible ways (such as, just to name a few, for aggregated insights, retargeting, to create personalized ads and content, etc.); (c) cut off users who violate your rules; or simply to (d) charge credit cards on file for paid services
- Disclaim your liability for (a) third party products and services featured on your site/app or linked to or (b) users who may allege that their poor decisions are the result of your content or data
- Cap your liability in the event you are sued by any users, so you have a fixed maximum exposure
- Reserve the right to recoup monetary damages from users who harm you or your business; and to specify which court or jurisdiction will hear lawsuits involving your business
- Leverage any applicable “safe-harbors” for your industry (for example, publishers are generally not liable for things other people say on their site or app)
- Discourage frivolous lawsuits by having clear terms and conditions which apply to your users