Giles School in Boston, Lincolnshire, pleaded guilty to breaching health and safety laws following an incident in a BTec course in Art and Design. The female sixth form student was instructed to make a mould of her hands in clay, but she put her hands in a bucket of plaster of Paris by mistake, which caused her to sustain serious burns to both hands. Fellow students tried frantically to remove the plaster using hammers, but neither they nor the emergency services could free the student. She was eventually cut free by staff at Nottingham City Hospital with the use of power tools. However, by this time the injuries were so severe that despite 12 operations, she was left with two fi ngers on her left hand. The HSE said that this was an accident which could and should have been avoided if the school had taken appropriate steps to monitor health and safety appropriately. The school was fined £16,500 and ordered to pay costs of £2,500.