The next update to the skilled migration occupation lists is scheduled to be announced in March 2020.
On the 4 September 2019, the Department of Employment, Skills, Small and Family Business (the Department) commenced a review of the skilled migration occupation lists. The Department have announced that the consultation process to interested stakeholders, client employer groups and industry associations is now open.
The current consultation time line is as follows:
- 4 September 2019: Commence review and consultation.
- December 2019: Publish Traffic Light Bulletin outlining outcomes of initial labour market analysis, stakeholder consultation and views from across government. The purpose of the Traffic Light Bulletin is to identify which occupations have been flagged for a change in status on one of the lists. Formal submission period opens.
- February 2020: Formal submission period closes.
- March 2020: End review.
If your business currently sponsors subclass 457/482 visa holders you may wish to become involved in the consultation process for the next round of reviews of the migration occupations lists. If your business has been impacted by previously removed occupations you may also wish to be involved in this process.
Skills Gap Training
Did you know that the 407 Training Visa allows applicants to stay in Australia for up to 2 years to complete a skills gap training to improve their skills in an eligible occupation? Vetassess can now assist your business in developing training plans relevant to occupational standards to support a Subclass 407 visa application.
Upcoming Visa Subclass Closures
The Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (RSMS) Subclass 187 visa will close from 16 November 2019.
It is likely that the RSMS subclass will remain open for some applicants eligible under the transitional provisions.
It has been proposed that 'orphan' RSMS nominations lodged before 16 November 2019, will be taken to have been withdrawn on 16 November 2019 if:
- the nomination has not been approved or refused before 16 November; and
- the nominee is not transitional 457 or 482 employee; and
- the nominee has not lodged 187 visa application before 16 November
The Skilled Regional (Provisional) subclass 489 visa will also close from 16 November 2019.