EBA has published the outcome of its 2015 EU-wide transparency exercise and provided detailed bank-by-bank data on capital positions, risk exposure amounts and asset quality on 105 banks from 21 countries of the EEA as part of its ongoing commitment to enhancing transparency in the EU banking sector. EBA concludes that, at June 2015:
- EU banks have strengthened their capital positions, with aggregate improvements in the common equity tier 1 (CET1) ratio at 12.8%;
- that this ratio is at 11.8% on a “fully loaded” basis for the CRR;
- the aggregate leverage ratio is 4.9%;
- asset quality and levels of profitability at EU banks are increasing slowly;
- EU banks’ aggregate return on regulatory capital is 9.1%; and
- a home bias remains when investing in sovereign debt, though to a lesser extent than previously experienced.