Key Regulatory Dates
- FCC Open Meeting – December 12, 2013
The next FCC Open Meeting is scheduled for December 12, 2013, at 2:30 pm Eastern. The tentative agenda for that meeting is available here.
- House Communications Subcommittee Oversight Hearing – December 12, 2013
The House Communications Subcommittee with hold an Oversight hearing on the FCC on December 12, 2013, at 10:00 am Eastern in 2123 Rayburn. All five Commissioners are scheduled to appear. To read more, click here.
- 4.9 GHz National Plan Recommendations Reply Comments – December 13, 2013
On October 30, 2013, the FCC Public Safety and Homeland Security Bureau sought comment on the 4.9 GHz National Plan Recommendations Final Report submitted by the National Public Safety Telecommunications Council in connection with the Fifth Further Notice of Proposed Rulemaking released by the Commission on June 13, 2013, which considered a number of issues to improve spectrum efficiency and to encourage greater use of 4.9 GHz band for public safety communications. Comments are due November 22, 2013, and Reply Comments are due December 13, 2013. To read the Public Notice, click here.
- Wireless Telecommunications Bureau auction – January 22, 2014
The Wireless Telecommunications Bureau has announced that the auction of licenses in the 1915-1920 MHz and 1995 MHz-2000 MHz bands, also known as the “H Block,” has been rescheduled and will now commence on January 22, 2014. This Public Notice also revises the schedule of pre-auction deadlines. To read the Public Notice, click here.
- NPRM to Reducing Barriers Deployment of Wireless Infrastructure
On December 5, 2013, the Commission’s September 2013 Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM) aimed at reducing barriers to the deployment of wireless infrastructure was published in the Federal Register. The NPRM seeks comment on expediting the Commission’s environmental review in connection with proposed deployments of certain technologies, such as small cells and Distributed Antenna Systems, which may be less likely to affect the environment. The NPRM also proposes a narrow exemption to notification requirements for certain temporary towers, and seeks comments on rules that would clarify provisions concerning time periods in which local agencies are expected to act on wireless facility siting applications. Accordingly, comments must be filed by February 3, 2014, and reply comments must be filed by March 5, 2014. WT Docket Nos. 13-238 and 13-32 and WC Docket No. 11-59. A copy of the NPRM is available here.
- On November 25, 2013, the FCC released a Declaratory Ruling and Order stating that Competitive Local Exchange Carriers (CLECs) are not required to allocate a portion of their fixed local revenues to cover the costs of providing interstate or interstate exchange access services for Universal Service purposes, in the absence of collecting a Subscriber Line Charge (SLC) or its equivalent from its end user customers. If the CLEC recovers a portion of these charges with a SLC, however, the SLC charges are considered to be interstate charges for federal Universal Service purposes, and therefore are assessable. A copy of the order may be found here. (DA-13-2254, WC Docket No. 06-122)