As you may know, Hogan Lovells will be combining with leading Mexican law firm BSTL effective 1 August 2014. We want to share with you changes to Mexican competition law that have gone into effect as of 7 July 2014.
The most important changes include:
- new absolute monopolistic practice (cartel)
- new relative monopolistic practices (abuse of dominant position)
- new merger approval process
- harshening of penalties
- unannounced dawn raids
- new criminal offense for obstructing dawn raids
- new statute of limitations for the investigative authority’s powers
- special procedures for market regulatory powers (access to essential facilities, remove barriers to competition, and order divestiture of assets)
- interim orders
Please view the BSTL presentation for more information on these changes.
Omar Guerrero Rodríguez and Ricardo Pons Mestre