All contributors to the Universal Service Fund, including telecommunications carriers and interconnected Voice-over-Internet Protocol (“VoIP”) providers, must file the Annual Telecommunications Reporting Worksheet (FCC Form 499-A). April 1, 2011 is the date by which the Universal Service Administrative Company (“USAC”) must receive the Form 499-A (i.e., the form cannot just be postmarked by that date). The data in the 499-A worksheet will be used to calculate "true-up" contributions to the federal universal service support mechanisms and annual contributions to the federal telecommunications relay services support mechanism, the federal cost recovery mechanism for numbering administration, and the federal cost recovery mechanism for shared costs of long-term number portability.
Please note that on March 1, 2011, the FCC released a revised Form 499-A and accompanying instructions. Some of the modifications the FCC made, among others, include:
- General revisions to the overall Form 499-A, with the purpose of providing a consistent format and making the form more user-friendly;
- Adjusting the factors for determining whether a filer is de minimis for 2011;
- Moving certain tables and lists to the appendices;
- Noting that the FCC now requires the email address information of filers, and requiring filers to use Line 208.1 to provide an email address for ITSP regulatory fee purposes; and,
- Deleting information, primarily of historical value, that the FCC has found to be unnecessary for Form 499-A reporting purposes.
A link to the FCC’s public notice outlining the revisions to the Form 499-A is provided below:
In addition, links to the 2011 Form 499-A and accompanying instructions are provided below for your convenience.