The Chancellor heralded new fees for employees wishing to bring claims in the Employment Tribunal, to apply from April 2013. No official announcement of fee rates has yet been made but they are reported to be:
- £250 to bring a claim
- £1,000 to proceed to a full hearing
- higher amounts if the claim is worth in excess of £30,000
The unemployed will be granted full or partial exemptions. Fees will be repaid if the claim is successful.
The Chancellor’s statement raises a number of obvious questions:
- will all unfair dismissal claims fall into the over £30,000 category?
- will fees be repaid on settlement and if so, to who?
- what if one part of the claim is successful but another part is not?