In a proposed restructure of professional regulation in the United Kingdom, nine regulatory bodies in the healthcare area may to be merged with a view to achieving greater efficiencies.
In a consultation paper to be issued by the office of the Health Secretary, views will be sought in respect of the amalgamation of several regulatory bodies, to include the following:
- General Medical Council
- General Dental Council
- Nursing and Midwifery Council
- General Chiropractic Council
- General Osteopathic Council
- Health and Care Professions Council
- Pharmaceutical Society of Northern Ireland
- General Optical Council
- General Pharmaceutical Council
It is anticipated that the consultation paper will set out various options and potential frameworks, to include the option of merging some bodies and leaving others as stand- alone regulators.
We will provide updates on the consultation process as it progresses.