On September 5, the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) announced the publication of a guide intended to help mobile application developers comply with truth-in-advertising and basic privacy principles when creating and marketing mobile applications for smartphones and tablet computers. The publication, titled “Marketing Your Mobile App: Get It Right from the Start,” notes that there are general guidelines that all app developers should consider. Those guidelines include:
- Tell the truth about what the app can do;
- Disclose key information clearly and conspicuously;
- Build privacy considerations into the app from the beginning;
- Offer choices that are easy to find and use;
- Honor privacy promises;
- Protect childrens’ privacy;
- Collect sensitive information only with affirmative consent; and
- Keep user data secure.
Click here to read the FTC’s press release about the guides and to access a copy of the publication.