On Facebook’s 10th birthday Pew reported that “64% of Facebook users visit the site on a daily basis” and it is still the “dominant social networking platform, used by 57% of all American adults and 73% of all those ages 12-17.” Pew Research Center went to describe these 6 new facts about Facebook:
- Some users dislike certain aspects of Facebook, but fear of missing out on social activities (or “FOMO”) isn’t one of them.
- Women and men often have varying reasons for why they use Facebook – but everything starts with sharing and laughs.
- Half of all adult Facebook users have more than 200 friends in their network.
- 12% of Facebook users say that someone has asked them to “unfriend” a person in their network.
- Facebook users “like” their friends’ content and comment on photos relatively frequently, but most don’t change their own status that often.
- Half of internet users who do not use Facebook themselves live with someone who does.
This Pew Report shows how Social Media continues to change, but it is clearly easier to study after the fact from a historical perspective.