Canadian Natural Resources Limited announced that production of synthetic crude oil from its Horizon oil sands mine increased to 117,600 bpd in June from 81,400 bpd in May. Production for the month of August is expected to range between 102,000 and 107,000 bpd amidst planned maintenance.

Gross bitumen production from Nexen’s Long Lake oil sands project has reached 28,500 bpd, representing an increase since January's production of 16,000 bpd. The company has started engineering work to add two once-through steam generators and is developing two additional well pads to add bitumen capacity. Nexen stated that it expects the two new well pads to add approximately 15,000 bpd of capacity. The company reported that production is on track to reach 40,000 to 60,000 bpd of bitumen by the end of the year.  

Cenovus has reported that, compared to a year ago, its signature thermal oil projects have experienced strong growth in the second quarter of this year. In the first six months of 2010, Cenovus averaged 256,551 boe per day, and the average per day for the second quarter was 253,773 boe. Bitumen production at the steam assisted gravity drainage (SAGD) Foster Creek project jumped up 16,338 bpd in the second quarter of this year, compared to the second quarter last year, to an average of 51,067 bpd of bitumen (net to Cenovus).  

Husky Energy stated that it is making design changes to its wells at the Tucker thermal oil project coming onstream later in 2010. These changes will determine whether or not Tucker will be a commercially viable project for the company. The company also plans to sanction the proposed Sunrise oil sands project later this year, which is Husky's 50-50 joint venture with BP. Husky would be the upstream operator and supply the bitumen for the Sunrise project while BP would provide the upgrading and refining.

Athabasca Oil Sands Corp. (AOSC) is moving ahead with plans to develop its oil sands assets now that it has established financing and a strong new partner. At June 30, 2010, AOSC had a 40% working interest in the MacKay and Dover joint ventures, with the remaining 60% working interest held by a subsidiary of PetroChina. The joint venture owns over 135,000 net acres of oil sands leases in northern Alberta.