Turkey has introduced new definitions and measurement specifications for food additives, in line with the European Union’s approach. These changes follow a series of other legislative related developments, regarding added vitamins, as well as food labelling.
The Turkish Food Codex Regulation on Specifications of Food Additives (“Regulation”) was published in Official Gazette number 30027 on 3 April 2017.
Significant definitions introduced by the Regulation include:
– CAS Number: Referring to the Chemical Abstracts Service registration number.
– EINECS Number: Referring to the European Inventory of Existing Commercial Chemical Substances Number.
– International Unit: Referring to measurement unit for active ingredients.
– Molar Absorption Coefficient: Referring to the absorption coefficient for 1% concentrate, 1-cm-long solution.
– Molecular Weight (g/mol): A relative number defining total atomic weight in a molecule.
Please see this link for the full text of the Regulation (only available in Turkish).
Information first published in the MA | Gazette, a fortnightly legal update newsletter produced by Moroğlu Arseven.