According to Preqin:
- Total PE fundraising for 2013 totaled $431 billion (up from $381 billion in 2012).
- North America-focused PE funds that had a final close in 2013 raised $266 billion ($200 billion in 2012).
- A majority (59%) of investors feel that Europe offers the best PE opportunities, while 54% favored North America (22% favored Asia).
- Carlyle Partners VI was the largest North American fund closing in Q4 2013 ($13 billion), while CVC European Partners VI was the largest fund closing in all of 2013 ($14 billion).
- In January 2014, a record 2,084 PE funds were seeking to raise $750 billion (1,949 PE funds were seeking $797 billion in January 2013).
According to Pitchbook:
- There are 2,797 PE firms headquartered in the US.
- There are 17,744 PE-backed companies headquartered in the US.
- There are 7.5 million employees of US PE-backed companies.
- US PE investment in 2013 was $426 billion ($407 billion in 2012) of which $131 billion was in Q4 2013.
- Average equity financing in US LBOs in 2013 was 43.9% (31.8% in 2012 and 48.5% in 2009).
According to Bain & Company:
- Total PE dry powder is $1.077 trillion!
- $427 billion of the dry powder is allocated to buyout funds.
- Debt-to-EBITDA multiples were 5.3x for 2013 US buyouts and 4.7x for European buyouts.
Big Four stock gains in 2013:
Click here to view table.