Dear Daily Newsfeed
The Legislative Assembly agreed yesterday, March 15th, 2018, to extend for 60 days the validity of the Transitory Law to Facilitate the Voluntary Compliance of Tax and Customs Obligations, known as Tax Amnesty, contained in the Legislative Decree number 804 of dated October 10th, 2017, which was published in the Official Gazette number 196 Volume 417 corresponding to October 20th, 2017.
The relevant elements of this regulation to be taken in consideration are the following:
- TERM OF VALIDITY: With the extension agreed by the Legislative Assembly, the taxpayers of the different internal taxes and customs who wish to get up to date in the fulfillment of their tax obligations will have 60 days to do so.
- APPLICABLE TAXES: The aforementioned law is applicable to the obligations and taxes administered by the General Directorate of Internal Taxes and the General Directorate of Customs, such as: Payment on account, withholdings, Income Tax, VAT, Tax on Real Estate Transfer ( Properties), Specific Taxes, Ad-Valorem, Special Contributions, Import Tariffs and Import VAT.
- BENEFITS: The taxpayer who pays the tax will be exempted from interest, surcharges and fines, or only interest as appropriate, if the fines are already firm, liquid and due. The benefits do not apply in cases that the Attorney General of the Republic has initiated the respective criminal process.
- PAYMENT METHODS: Payment can be made in cash, check, cashier´s check or certified check, credit notes from the public treasury, credit or debit cards accepted by the Treasury Service (Dirección General de Tesorería) and presenting the corresponding tax declarations or merchandise declarations, as applicable for each case. Payment may be made promptly or during a maximum period of six (6) months that may be requested and authorized by the Treasury Service.
- APPLICATION: The Amnesty Decree considers a series of cases in which amnesty may be granted and, depending on the case, entails compliance with a series of internal requirements for their corresponding adoption.