On 27 August 2012, the European Commission ("Commisson") issued a set of frequently asked questions ("FAQs") on the application of EU competition rules in the motor vehicle sector. The FAQs aim at helping stakeholders in understanding the Commission's stance on particular issues regarding the motor vehicle markets.
The immediate reason for the FAQs is the new motor vehicle block exemption regulation that was adopted on 27 May 2010, accompanied by the Supplementary Guidelines on vertical restraints in agreements for the sale and repair of motor vehicles and for the distribution of spare parts for motor vehicles. Since then, the Commission's services have received a number of questions concerning the application of the new framework. The answers to these questions, together with explanations, are now used as input in the FAQs. The FAQs deal in depth with the following six topics:
- the honouring of warranties;
- servicing in the context of leasing contracts;
- the supply of spare parts;
- the use and purchase of electronic diagnostic and repair tools;
- access to technical information, and vi. access to authorised repairer networks