The House Ways and Means Committee is inviting comments on draft legislation to reform Medicare post-acute care (PAC) policy, based on reforms included in President Obama’s fiscal year 2014 budget. The legislation would:
- Reduce market basket updates for home health agencies, skilled nursing facilities (SNFs), inpatient rehabilitation facilities (IRFs) and long-term care hospitals;
- Create site neutral payments between IRFs and SNFs for certain procedures (unilateral knee replacement, unilateral hip replacement, unilateral hip fracture, and other appropriate conditions)
- Modify the criteria required for IRF status (the so-called “75 percent rule”);
- Establish a SNF readmissions program; and
- Establish a prospective payment system for Part A and Part B payment for bundles of PAC services (determined by the Secretary, with consideration to the Bundled Payments for Care Improvement Initiative) provided after a hospitalization, beginning in 2018.
Comments will be accepted until August 30, 2013.