On July 27, 2017, the State Administration of Foreign Experts Affairs ("SAFEA") and the Ministry of Public Security ("MPS") jointly issued the Circular on Issues concerning Handling Work Permits for Foreign Staff of Overseas Non-Governmental Organizations (the "Circular").

The Circular expressly states that the foreign chief representative of an overseas nongovernmental organization (NGO) that has legally established a representative office within the territory of China may be eligible for a work permit with a term of validity of up to five years, provided that criteria on top foreign talents are fulfilled. Also, the Circular says that if an overseas NGO has legally filed a record for its temporary activities within the territory of China, although it has no representative office in China, the approved term for the work permit granted to its foreign head or key employee who will come to China for such temporary activities should not be longer than the duration of these temporary activities. According to the Circular, a foreigner who intends to work in China for above 90 days but no more than one year (inclusive) may apply for a Work Permit for Foreigners Working in China online by submitting the receipt of the record filed for temporary activities, employment contract or certification on his or her employment, and medical check certification, but has to make a commitment in respect of certifications for his or her work experience, no criminal history and the highest degree (educational background).