The Regulation on Preparation of the National Occupational Standards and National Competencies (“Regulation“) has entered into effect, published in Official Gazette number 29507 on 10 October 2015. The Regulation repeals the Regulation on Preparation of the National Occupational Standards (Official Gazette number 26664, dated 5 October 2007). The Regulation outlines procedures and principles for preparing, enforcing, updating and abolishing the national occupational standards (“Standard”) and national competencies (“Competencies”).
Professions which require at least an undergrad degree education level and which have enacted profession-entry conditions are not subject to the Regulation. These include doctorate, dentistry, nursing, midwifery, pharmaceutics, veterinary, engineering and architecture.
Significant provisions of the Regulation include:
- The Vocational Qualifications Institute’s (“Institute”) Administrative Board determines the professions whose standards will be prepared. The Institute takes into account the requirements of the labor market and educational institutions, as well as suggestions by sectoral committees. The form and substance of the Standards and Competencies will be prepared in line with the format confirmed by the Administrative Board and Turkey Qualifications Framework.
- The following criteria will be considered during development, examination and confirmation of the Standards and Competencies:
- In determining Standards and Competencies for professions, national and international standards must be taken into account.
- The Regulation introduces a definition for “international standards”. In line with this, the occupational documents approved by international agencies that Turkey is a member of will be recognised as an international standard when applying the Regulation.
- The Standards are based on business analysis comprising research, collection and evaluation of the information about a specific profession.
- Competencies include the components for assessing a person’s knowledge, skills and capability within the scope of the quality assurance.
- Standards and Competencies will be prepared collaboratively, taking into account the relevant parties’ opinions and contributions.
- Standards and Competencies address matters such as the occupation’s health and safety, environment and quality considerations.
- Standards and Competencies must be written in a way that is easily understood by users.
- Standards and Competencies should encourage people to develop their own standards and progress their careers against the background of the lifelong learning principle.
- Standards and Competencies must not directly or indirectly include any discriminatory elements.
- Competencies will be generated according to national or international occupational standards. Only one competency can be in force for the same name or level at any time.
- Standards and Competencies must be accessible to all relevant parties.
- Persons, institutes or institutions must have permission or authorization from the Institute to undertake examinations against the Competencies, or make certification in any name.
- The Institute will sign an authorization preliminary contract with the institutions which are intended to be an authorized certification institute. Authorized certification institutes can conduct examinations and certification by reference to the Competencies, within the framework of the preliminary contract and within the accreditation period.
- The Institute will file a criminal complaint regarding any person, institute or institution who conducts examination or certification activities by reference to the Competencies without authorization or permission.
- Standards must be re-evaluated every five years. Such re-evaluation must be made together with the relevant professional bodies which drafted the relevant Standard.
- If any change occurs to national or international occupational standards, the relevant Competencies will be updated or revoked within one year of the change.
Please see this link for full text of the Regulation (only available in Turkish).