The government of Alberta and the Chiefs of Treaty 6 have entered into an agreement on the stewardship of the environment. Eleven bands within Treaty 6 are participating: Alexander First Nation, Enoch Cree Nation, Alexis Nakota Sioux, O'Chiese First Nation, Sunchild First Nation, Kehewin Cree Nation, Heart Lake First Nation, Beaver Lake Cree Nation, Goodfish First Nation, Frog Lake First Nation and Cold Lake First Nation.
Highlights of the Agreement include:
- Recognition of the importance of shared responsibility for the stewardship of the environment;
- First Nations input into environmental decision-making affecting their jurisdictions;
- Drawing on the expertise of Traditional Environmental Knowledge, Elders and the communities; and
- A new relationship with a renewed commitment to mutual trust and respect between the two parties.
- A five year work plan is to be developed under the agreement to provide implementation details.
For more information see: http://www.alberta.ca/acn/200801/22936A8AD82BD-EFDC-7DAE-0A68408E02E243A8.html